Monday, September 8, 2008

poetry

Poetry. I despise it. I do like some of it, but mostly, NO. I don't mean to sound mean (talk of poetry) in any of this, but reading poetry almost makes me feel my head getting heavier with Iron (III) Hydroxide. I'd ask a personal favor to anyone doing a psychology PhD or something - Please do a dissertation involving understanding a poet's (modern/medieval doesn't matter) mind. I would really like to know what the fuck goes on in their minds.

Less ironically sounding, metaphorical sense makes the most sense to me. Actually, that's the only thing which makes sense. Anything else => Iron(III) Hydroxide.

Poetry, they say, can be on any topic (especially after Renaissance when poets apparently showed the middle finger to the conservative old fellows, and started writing poems about everything). The world, human feelings, nature, life, well, alright, a whole list of things. I find it hard to think which amongst these is the worst. But my guess would be, um, I don't know.

Well, I accept I'm incapable of understanding poetry, but still, I don't get the point. How can these fellows (Note that Fellows has 'Fe' = Iron) write lines that make no sense? Oh, I get the point, you poetry lovers, it does make sense, but not to me right? Yes. I get it I get it. But I'm sorry. I can't smile at you and clap at you when you ask me to understand how beautiful it is when a stone talks to you or a bark of a tree signifies circles of life or when a snake tells you how not to go on a straight path and other such nonsense.

Some songs have wonderful lyrics, again, mostly metaphorical. I have no problems when poems or lines make sense. It's only when they talk of the obvious, or force you to see the beauty in stuff like what I just mentioned above, it's pissing off.



Give me prose any day.

This post is a result of my frustration of having to go through some poetry of late.

7 comments:

Bhargavi said...

Nice post . could relate to it .. never have been able to comprehend poetry.Tried writing poems ,all of which ended in the dust-bin. so i guess poetry is not for me either..

Unknown said...

Wow great post man.But quite a long poetry.HAPPY BLOGGING>

shrill said...

and you thought a wizard school housing a super wizards with unearthly teachers around,owls,broom games make sense????
its about presenting your thoughts in a musical tenor...romantic,soft and vivid to the core..


for oft when on my couch i lie..
in vacant or in pensive mood..
they flash upon my inward eye..
which is a bliss of solitude..
and then my heart with pleasure fills
and dances with the daffodils...
..this is poetry...immortalised..


Ahhh poetry!!!

opium said...

@bedazzled......ican co mpletelyun derstand.....

@doit ....longp poetry??m imi ssina poit here?


@shrill....m amazed u remember the verse by hr8....but ur whisperin poetry to deaf ears....only thing tht "bedazzles" me abt poetry r the rymin words...

quinescent said...

nice nice ...
but i don totally agree wid ya.. its not like i m a poet or sumthn .. but acquaintance wid a few.. :)
but excellent way of puttin ur ideas here... only if u had used the F word a lil less frequently .. i wud have passed on this link.. :)

on the whole .. good one after ur "i m back" post!

Saket Ranjan said...

You probably do not know me. Well I guess even I do not know you, but at least I know that u dislike poetry. The reasons as given by you are not good enough to persuade a poetry lover to believe you. And you know the magic of writing, be it poetry or prose is that the reader should get involved in what has been written. You were not able to do that.

And why do u believe that poetry is just writing fancy stuff about things around you and relating it to philosophies of life. I would like to draw ur attention towards the art of writing real stuffs. I know I am no great writer or anything but after getting to know how good it feels when I am able to voice what I want to say in rhymes, I just cannot seem to stop myself from writing this lengthy comment to ur post. I know even I would not be able to influence ur opinion but for once if u believed what i said i would be happy enough.

And sorry for the length of this comment.

Amit said...

Good Effort. What i liked the most in this passage is its title. You thoughts are actually 'tangential'
(touching only one point of the circle). its probably like you happened to witness to a cricket match featuring china and japan and concluded that the game of cricket was boring....Anyways, if any day,just by chance, if there is a desire to make peace with poetry, you are welcome. And keep writting.